Local Food Challenge Awards Reception
(NOTE: if you're buying a ticket to the Symposium, you can simply RSVP for this event while buying your ticket)
The Local Food Challenge, led by the Greenbelt Fund, with support from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, helps public institutions such as hospitals, schools, and childcare centres incorporate more Ontario food into their menus.
The year-long Challenge provides funding of up to $15,000 for projects that help market more local food options to students, staff, and patients; educate people on the benefits of buying local; and connects them with local suppliers. The Challenge helps institutions grow to understand the barriers Greenbelt farmers face while enjoying a little healthy competition—and food—in the process.
During the Greenbelt Local Food Symposium we would like to take the opportunity to celebrate the success of this year’s Challengers. Join us at 6pm on February 3 as we highlight their achievements and raise a glass of local wine to these proud local food supporters at the Local Food Challenge Awards Reception.
As part of the Awards Reception we would also like to recognize Debbie Zimmerman for her 36 years of public service. Debbie has shown unwavering and unparalleled support of all things Niagara. She will be recognized at the reception with an award for her significant contributions to the wine industry, and to Ontario as a whole.
The 2014 Local Food Challenge Participants:
- Centennial College (Scarborough Campus), Toronto
- Health Sciences North, Sudbury
- Lakehead District School Board, Thunder Bay
- Niagara Health System, St. Catharines
- Niagara Region Child Care Services, Thorold
- Orillia Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital, Orillia
- St. James Catholic High School, Guelph
- University of Guelph, Guelph
- University of Toronto (Scarborough Campus), Toronto
- Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo
155 Byron St
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0
Google map and directions