Recipes and Menu Ideas
Check out the following links for some local, healthy and kid-approved recipe ideas.
- FoodShare’s School Programs
- Foodland Ontario
- EatRight Ontario
- The Ontario Table
- FoodShare’s salad bar toolbox
- Real Food for Real Kids
- Sprouting Chefs
Colourful layered sandwich
Need some ideas on how to get delicious winter foods like beets and carrots into kids' diets?
Try this kid tested and approved colourful layered sandwhich from Eat Right Ontario.
½ cup cooked carrots
½ cup cooked beets (optional)
2 hard cooked eggs, peeled
1 green onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
4 slices whole grain bread
1. In bowl, mash carrots (with fork or potato masher) until fairly smooth; set aside.
2. In another bowl, mash beets until fairly smooth; set aside.
3. In a third bowl, mash eggs until smooth, stir in green onion.
4. Stir 2 tsp (10 mL) of mayonnaise and pepper into each bowl and stir until combined.
5. Divide egg among 2 slices of the bread and spread evenly. Spoon carrot on top of each and carefully spread on top of egg.
6. Spoon beet on top of carrot layer (if using) and spread evenly. Top with remaining bread slices and wrap well or place in a reusable container and refrigerate until ready to eat.